From Emily Belden:
380 square feet. 39,000 heads-up pennies, all glued to the floor with love by South Loop couple, Emily Belden and Ryan Lange -- owner of South Loop tattoo shop, Code of Conduct.
We launched a site about it yesterday that went viral on all social media platforms, garnering worldwide traffic: www.thepennyfloor.comSome sweet stats from their webpage:
- 1873: the oldest penny used; coin features an Indian head instead of Abraham Lincoln
- 1944: year of the WWII 440 steel penny used because of a copper shortage
- 38,903: total amount of pennies used
- 128: total number of man-hours it took to lay pennies
- 2: total number of people who made the penny floor possible
- 184: number of reruns (see glossary) placed before grouting
- $972.80: total cost for the penny floor about 2.56 per square foot.