If the Chef Luciano & Gourmet Chicken place in the South Loop looks like a white castle, it's with good reason: The 80-year-old building was originally a White Castle, one of the earliest built by the world-famous restaurant chain.
And tomorrow, city staffers will seek preliminary landmark status for the building at 43 E. Cermak, saying the 80-year-old building is the city's best surviving example of an original White Castle restaurant. Built in 1930, the building, originally White Castle #16, was among scores of first-gen White Castle restaurants that made eating hamburgers acceptable--it was low-brow carny food before then--and created a construction and business model that paved the way for modern post-war franchise systems like McDonalds and others, according to a city report.
The city's landmarks division will make its case before the Commission on Chicago Landmarks.
ABC7 also did a little piece about the process and sums up the story well:
(Hat tip: LR3 & RG!)