The South Loop was one of Chicago's first residential districts, which recent redevelopment has again transformed into a residential neighborhood.
Working-class immigrants, primarily Irish, initially settled south of the young city near the river while the well-to-do built houses along Michigan and Wabash Avenues. Railroads entering Chicago in the 1850s established passenger stations and freight houses at the southern edge of the business district. The Chicago Fire of 1871 spared the area, but displaced Loop businesses found temporary quarters there. Another fire, in 1874, ended the area's remaining residential character.For more information here is the link.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.